SJMA promotes responsible care of natural and cultural resources through education and hands-on involvement that inspires respect and reverence for our lands.
The San Juan Mountains Association is a grassroots organization whose members share values and passion for our public lands and cultural treasures.
We are based in Durango, Colorado and are the non-profit support partner for the San Juan National Forest and BLM Tres Rios Field Office.
SJMA was created in 1988 to assist the San Juan National Forest in providing education and interpretation of public lands in Southwest Colorado. SJMA has a participating agreement with the San Juan National Forest and the Bureau of Land Management Tres Rios Field Office to develop educational programs, publications and volunteer projects, as well as provide interpretive services.
Additional Phone: 970-385-1210
Visit our Website at www.sjma.org
We invite you to stop into our offices at the San Juan National Forest Supervisor’s Office building in the Durango Tech Center, 15 Burnett Ct. for maps, guide books, atv and 4wd maps, and outdoor information about the San Juan National Forest and Weminuche Wilderness and South San Juan Wilderness information.
Our mailing address is:
PO Box 2261
Durango, Colorado 81302
We commit to the following priorities:
- Educating our volunteers, our partners and the public, with a renewed focus on youth.
- Connecting people including the public, land managers and our volunteers to each other and to our natural and cultural resources.
- Inspiring respect for our ideals among our partners, the public and our volunteers.
- Strengthening our image and visibility in the community, our membership, volunteer groups, and the partnerships that contribute to meeting our mission.
- Supporting our volunteers, staff and partners by providing opportunities for growth and creativity.
- Diversifying funding sources by identifying and pursuing new opportunities.
In pursuit of our mission, the Board, Staff and Volunteers of SJMA commit to embracing these organizational values:
- Promote a Strong Land Ethic: We instill in people an appreciation for the integrity of the land and how their actions impact the ecosystem.
- Connect People to the Land: We provide opportunities for personal experience and enjoyment in our natural surroundings.
- Respect People and Ideas: We support responsible behavior, and by being fair-minded, we seek a balance among differing land-use interests.
- Care for Heritage Resources: We foster protection of the region’s irreplaceable cultural treasures.
- Inspire Enthusiasm and Commitment in Our Supporters: We build passion for SJMA’s goals and ideals through positive interaction with the public.
- Educate through Involvement: We teach volunteers and other supporters through hands-on participation.
We commit to building an organization widely recognized for conservation education and sustainability programs by:
- Providing a broad range of rich and enjoyable programs
- Inspiring people to work together to respect and enjoy the land.
- Treating staff and supporters with respect and decency while nurturing their growth.